- Decrease or eliminate lactose (usually from dairy foods).
- Decrease oligosaccharide containing foods (beans, artichokes, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, etc).
- Decrease fructose intake from fruits, sugary foods, & drinks containing fructose.
- Decrease or eliminate sugar alcohols, usually found in sugar-free foods. Examples: sorbitol, malitol, xylitol.
- Exercise is important to keep the bowels functioning optimally.
- Antibiotic use can cause severe imbalances in healthy gut bacteria. Always supplement with probiotics if you take antibiotics. See supplement list below for recommendations.
- Digestive Enzyme Ultra With Betaine – This is an enzyme formula that will help to enhance the digestion of oligosaccharides found in beans and vegetables. Recommended dose: 2 capsules before each main meal, especially those meals containing beans and/or vegetables.
- Multi-Probiotic 40 Billion Probiotic – This is a broad-spectrum, high-potency probiotic that helps to recolonize the gut with bacteria that can decrease gas production. Recommended dose: 1 capsule twice daily.
What to do if gas continues despite the above protocol…
- Replace Stomach Acid – Many people who suffer with gas have insufficient stomach acid to properly digest their food. This results in undigested food becoming fermented in the gut. Try replacing stomach acid through supplementation with Betaine HCl. To achieve this start with 1 capsule before each main meal. If no improvement after 2-3 days and you feel no discomfort or warmth in the stomach, increase to 2 capsules before each main meal. Pay attention to gas and any irritation or warmth in the stomach. If symptoms have improved then continue with 2 capsules before each main meal. If still no improvement, increase to 3 capsules before each main meal. See the article, Betaine HCl – Add Fire Back to Digestion for a full discussion on supplementing with betaine for safety and efficacy.
- If you have had your gallbladder removed – People who have had gallbladder dysfunction or have had the gallbladder removed often suffer with loose stools and gas after surgery. To remedy this, supplement with Bile Acid Salts. Recommended Dose: 1 capsule before meals.