- A carbohydrate meal in the evening may enhance sleep, however, this is not recommended for people who are diabetic, resistant to insulin or overweight.
- Try taking a tablespoon of almond butter prior to bed to stabilize blood sugar while you sleep.
- Chronic stress can cause severe strain on the adrenal glands which can result in a condition called “adrenal exhaustion”. Adrenal dysfunction can result in cortisol levels that are out of balance.
- Certain medications such as betablockers and drugs for mood disorders can interfere with sleep patterns.
- Cut out caffeine, alcohol and tobacco.
- Exercise regularly as fitness plays a key role in regulating healthy sleep patterns.
- Take a warm shower before bed. Warmth prepares the body for sleep by enhancing the production of compounds that ready the body for slumber.
- Wear socks to bed. Any change in temperature on any body part can shock the body out of slumber. By wearing socks to bed, you balance the heat distribution and prevent temperature swings that make wake you.
- Use bed for sleep and sex only!
- If you do not sleep within 30 minutes of laying down, get up and sit quietly in another room. Do not lay in bed and attempt to force yourself to sleep. After 20 minutes try again for another 30 minutes. Repeat as much as necessary. This is designed to get your mind to associate the bed with restful sleep.
- Remove ALL light from the room, including alarm clocks. Purchase an alarm clock that shuts the light off of the digital display automatically.
- L-5-HTP – 100-300 mg one hour before bed. 5-HTP stands for 5-hydroxytryptophan which is the body’s precursor to serotonin and melatonin. (Note: Be careful with 5-HTP if you are on antidepressant medications, speak with one of our pharmacists at 888-794-4325 for details).
- Melatonin 3 mg SRT – This is a slow-release melatonin. Take 1 capsule 1-2 hours before bed.
- Sleep by Restorative Formulations – This formula combines some of natural medicine’s most powerful products for helping you achieve healthy sleep. Take 1-2 capsules 1 hour before bed.