- Decrease refined carbohydrates. Cataracts are basically glycated proteins, which are proteins tightly bound to sugars. High carbohydrate diets increase glycation throughout the body, including the lens of the eyes.
- Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables which contain compounds that are known to support the eyes and protect the lens. Raw fuits, vegetables and nuts that are most beneficial for protecting the body from cataracts include:
- Brazil nuts (great source of vitamin E and selenium)
- Raw sunflower seeds
- Avocados (great source of sulfur compounds)
- Corn (great source of natural lutein)
- Spinach (great source of lutein)
- Enjoy berries such as blueberries, raspberries, black berries, etc.
- Cut bad Fats such as animal and vegetable oils.
- Exercise is important for maintaining healthy blood sugar.
- Limit alcohol consumption. A glass of wine daily is acceptable.
- Wear sunglasses with UV protection to protect the lens from the harmful effectsof UV rays.Stop smoking as this increases free radical stress to lens.
- Limit the use of antacids as this will inhibit the absorption of precious nutrients.
- Eye Health By Next To Nature – 1 capsule twice daily – This formula is a blend of eye nutrients, herbal extracts, and antioxidants.
- MacuGuard With Astaxanthin – 1 capsule daily – This formula is a blend of carotenoids that concentrate in the eye and act as a defense against free radicals, which can worsen cataracts. Included in the formula: lutein, zeaxanthin, mesozeaxanthin, and astaxanthin.
- Pure Radiance C – 1 capsule twice daily. This is a natural plant sourced vitamin C supplement. Vitamin C has been shown to protect the eyes from cataracts.
- Brite Eyes III Eye Drops – 1 drop three to four times daily. This eye drop contains N-acetyl-carnosine, a compound which has been shown to help normalize the lens of people suffering with cataracts.