The most important thing that you need to know about high blood pressure is that it is generally not a disease, instead, it’s a symptom of a body that is biochemically out of balance. In this article, we will teach you a simple three step system for natural blood pressure control using only diet and natural remedies. The purpose of such a program is to achieve one thing…bring the body back into perfect balance so that blood pressure is controlled by the body’s own homeostatic systems.
Step 1: Find Out Why You Have High Blood Pressure
I am not going to leave you to figure this out on your own, nor am I going to leave it to your busy, overworked doctor either. Below are the tests that you should ask your doctor for to figure out why your blood pressure may be elevated:
- Fasting Insulin Levels & Hemoglobin a1c – The number one cause of elevated blood pressure is elevated insulin levels and the resulting metabolic syndrome. These two tests will help to diagnose a metabolic syndrome and may help to save you from a future diabetes diagnosis.
- Potassium (K) & intracellular magnesium (RBC-Mg) – These two minerals are essential to a healthy blood pressure. If either, or both, are low or low-normal, this could be one indication as to why your blood pressure is elevated.
- Vitamin D – Vitamin D deficiency is common in our society and when vitamin D is low, the cardiovascular system does not work properly.
- RBC-Mg (Red blood cell magnesium) – Magnesium deficiency is a common problem in our society and the consequences can be devastating. Magnesium acts as a natural calcium channel blocker and works to relax the blood vessels.
Step 2: 3 Dietary Changes for a Healthy Blood Pressure
- Decrease carbohydrate intake. Carbohydrates increase insulin production which causes fluid retention, inflammation and electrolyte imbalance.
- Remove all unhealthy fats. These fats include trans-fatty acids and cooked omega-6 fatty acids from vegetable oils.
- Make the Magic Salad for Blood Pressure every day. I have designed a salad recipe that will flood your body with hypertension- blasting ingredients which are high in potassium, magnesium and phytochemicals that will lower blood pressure and promote wellness. The ingredients are as follows:
- Organic field greens (available at Costco and most local grocery stores)
- Organic carrots
- Green & Red Peppers
- Fresh parsley
- Braggs Apple cider vinegar and extra-virgin olive oil
Eat at least one large salad, containing these ingredients every day. Note: Some medications, called ACE Inhibitors, can cause your body to retain potassium. If you are on these medication, your doctor should monitor your potassium closely.
Step 3: Use the right natural supplements to promote a healthy blood pressure.
Supplements can be an effective tool in your struggle to normalize blood pressure. The goals of a natural program for high blood pressure are three fold:
- Normalize deficiencies (such as potassium, magnesium zinc, omega-3, etc.)
- Decrease resistance to insulin
- Relax blood vessels & normalize fluid balance
There are a few natural remedies that we recommend for normalizing blood pressure.
- WholeMega by New Chapter – This omega-3 supplement provides a healthy balance of essential fatty acids that help to relax and improve the elasticity of blood vessels. Recommended dose: 2 capsules twice daily.
- Cardiotonic-BP by Natura Health Products – I have used this formula in my practice for almost a year, it is a blend of some of natures most powerful herbal and nutritional ingredients for a healthy blood pressure. 3 capsules twice daily.
- Coenzyme Q10 – CoQ10 helps to energize the cells and protect the vessels from free radicals that can harm the blood pressure. Research has not delineated the exact mechanism by which CoQ10 positively impacts the blood pressure; but it can have a significant impact on blood pressure while positively impacting overall wellness.